NXTHVN Apprentices are eligible to participate in the program through high school graduation.
You must be 15 years of age by August 1 of application year to apply.
The apprenticeship program’s one-on-one mentorship prioritizes empowerment, innovation, and technical learning. Under the leadership of our Student Programs Manager, apprentices work directly with the NXTHVN Fellows and staff to build technical and professional skills supported by activities that are scaffolded to support the program’s core values of: Creativity, Connection, Purpose, and Power.
Apprentices are local high school students who exhibit a strong interest in the arts, possess a desire to learn new professional skills, and are ready for the responsibilities of a paid commitment. Apprentices work up to 25 hours a month side by side with NXTHVN Fellows and staff, as well as a collective group on supplemental projects and activities.
- Work up to 25 hours per month. These hours are divided between working with Studio and Curatorial Fellows, weekly group meetings, and support for group projects and activities.
- Attend the mandatory orientation in late August.
- Attend Weekly Wednesday sessions.
- Have flexible summer hours (June-August) with the month of July off.
- Collectively and personally produce a project for the annual apprenticeship project.
- Be respectful in their communications with their peers and the NXTHVN Fellows and staff.
- Keep an open mind and ask questions.
- You must be at least 15 years of age to apply and be a high school student in the greater New Haven area.
- Proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 is required.
- Signed permission from an adult caregiver to participate in the program.
- Proper ID, working papers, and the ability to provide bank account information with the student’s name on it for payment. Support in this process is provided by the Student Program Manager.
- Reliable transportation to and from NXTHVN.
- A valid and working email address and cell phone.
- All apprentices will be paid $14 an hour and are responsible for payment of any taxes due.
- All apprentices are expected to work onsite at NXTHVN up to 25 hours a month (13 hours dedicated to working with studio and curatorial fellows).
- Attend mandatory weekly meetings at NXTHVN Wednesday 3:30 pm-5:30 pm.
For more information please email Jay Kemp, student programs manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.