HIGH SCHOOL APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
Leveraging NXTHVN’s Studio and Curatorial Fellows and, through one-on-one mentorship, that prioritizes empowerment, innovation, and technical learning, the Apprenticeship program trains the next generation of artists and creative thinkers.
NXTHVN Apprentices are eligible to participate in the program through high school graduation.
Apprentices are local high school students who exhibit a strong interest in the arts, possess a desire to learn new professional skills, and are ready for the responsibilities of a paid commitment. Under the leadership of our Student Programs Manager, Apprentices work 13 hours a month side-by-side with NXTHVN fellows and staff to build technical and professional skills supported by activities that are scaffolded to support the program’s core values.
Our Core Values:
- Creativity – At the core of NXTHVN is the creative magic that opens the window of possibility. We want to cultivate creativity in our apprentices so that they can become experts in shaping their world, developing new insights, and fostering analytical thinking.
- Connection – Close connections through mentorship and collective learning foster discovery, empathy, and acceptance, while also nurturing and establishing community.
- Purpose – We assist apprentices in developing their artistic compass to motivate and guide them in their professional development, while simultaneously providing them with lasting personal meaning.
- Power – Combining social-emotional competencies, 21st-century skills, and leadership training with a growth mindset, our apprentices become unstoppable.
You must be 15 years of age by August 1, 2022 to apply.
- Work 25 hours per month. These hours are divided between working with Studio Fellows, weekly group meetings, and support for group projects and activities that are scaffolded to support the program’s core values
- Attend the mandatory orientation in late August
- Have summer hours (June-August) that are flexible (apprentices are off in July)
- Collectively produce a project for the annual apprentice exhibition
- Must be a high school student in the greater New Haven area
- Signed permission from an adult caregiver to participate in the program
- Proper ID and working papers
- A bank account with the student’s name on it and the ability to provide bank account information for payment. Support in this process is provided by the Student Program Manager
- Reliable transportation to and from NXTHVN
- A valid email address
- A cell phone
- All Apprentices will be paid $14 an hour and will be responsible for payment of any taxes due
- Apprentice will be working 25 hours a month (13 hours dedicated to working with Studio and Curatorial Fellows.)
- Proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 by August 1, 2022
- Commit to attending mandatory weekly Apprentice meetings at NXTHVN Wednesday 3:30 pm-5:30 pm